While its origin is quite controversial, roulette has been one of the most popular games of chance for hundreds of years. Its widespread popularity makes it safe to say it is impossible to find a land-based casino in Las Vegas, Macau, Monaco, or wherever you are, without at least one roulette wheel. In recent years, its popularity has spread into online gambling with almost every online casino today offering a number of real money online roulette games.
Did you know that when you add up all the numbers on a single-zero roulette wheel (0 through 36) the sum equals 666, which is the Number of the Beast? Because of this, many believe French entrepreneur François Blanc, who made the game popular in the 19th century, had a pact with the devil in order to acquire the winning secrets.
Regardless if this is a legend or not, the word “roulette” means little wheel in French. There are shreds of evidence that suggest it started in 17th century France – but how or why it was created is still unclear. Its origin has many sides: French mathematician Blaise Pascal, French Dominican monks who were inspired by an ancient Tibetan game, a gathering of unknown French monks, or a combination of a gaming wheel with an Italian or English game.
Further, the game has been altered slightly in a number of different ways through the years with American, European, and French variants being created. The house edge on these variants can range from as low as 1%-2% to as high as 8% or more. Even though the house edge is not competitive to many other casino games, one can tell the popularity of roulette is still up there with blackjack, poker, and baccarat – especially online.
Designating a service (no matter what it is) as “the best” requires genuine investigation and that is exactly what we did to bring you the three casinos featured below. Each of the top online casinos for playing roulette that are listed below have underwent a series of rigorous qualifications before we could call them the best. From basic requirements – such as payout times, game selection, licensing, and gaming software – to specific information on games – like odds and rules of playing real money roulette at each casino.
This means, with each of these casinos, you can relish a remarkable gaming experience while wagering on your preferred roulette game. Thanks to their selection, they offer more than one variant so you can move from one to another. Meanwhile, their reputation is the single most important element and we prioritized that when evaluating these casinos.
Licensed in Panama, Las Vegas USA started amassing a lot of customers since it was founded in 2002. Accordingly, they have been one of the top competitors in the online casino world. In addition to its longevity, Las Vegas USA is also respected amongst newcomers and experienced online players due to their high-quality software provided by Realtime Gaming.
There are various types of games available at Las Vegas USA covering slots, table games, and video poker. When playing, this casino has two options: you can either download the software on your preferred device or utilize the instant play feature available online in your web browser.
Amidst their provision of several slots, video poker, and table games, Las Vegas USA offer the European Roulette and American Roulette. While the variants have their pros and cons, we will take a look at both and list their rules.
– The game is played using a single zero wheel, which means there is a total of 37 pockets that consist of a zero and one numbered pockets each from 1 through 36.
– European Roulette pays 35 to 1.
– The minimum and maximum bet for both inside and outside bets are $1 and $250 respectively.
– Unlike American Roulette, there are three extra bet types called call bets—in addition to the usual inside and outside bets. These are Voisins du Zero (Neighbors of Zero), Orphelins (Orphans), and Tiers du Cylindre (Thirds of the Wheel).
– Voisins du Zero: Sometimes called the Serie 0/2/3, this is a call bet which involves all the numbers close to 0. Here, you are to bet 9 units on 17 numbers (0, 2, 3, 4, 7, 12, 15, 18, 19, 21, 22, 25, 26, 28, 29, 32, and 35) and the units are split into 7 positions. The first two units pay 11 to 1 on 0/2/3; another two units pay 8 to 1 on 25/26/28/29; and the remaining 5 units pay 17 to 1 on 4/7, 12/15, 18/21, 19/22, and 32/35 individually.
– Tiers du Cylindre: Sometimes referred to as the Serie 5/8, you are required to bet 6 units on 12 numbers. Hence, your bet is split into one unit each on 5/8, 10/11, 13/16, 23/24, 27/30, and 33/36.
– Orphelins: The idea of the Orphelins is that the 8 numbers involved belong to neither Voisins du Zero nor Tiers du Cylindre; ergo, they are orphans. This requires 5 units: one unit each on 6/9, 14/17, 17/20, 31/34, and O. With this call bet, the house edge is estimated to be 2.7%.
– Here are the odds and payouts respectively: 2.7% and 35 to 1 for any number, 5.4% and 17 to 1 for a two-number combination, 8.1% and 11 to 1 for a three-number combination, 10.8% and 8 to 1 for a four-number combination, 13.5% and 6 to 1 for a five-number combination, 16.2% and 5 to 1 for a six-number combination, 32.4% and 2 to 1 for both column and dozen bets, and 48.6% and 1 to 1 for Even/Odd, Red/Black, or Low/High.
There isn’t much to say about the American roulette game available at Las Vegas USA as it is the same one you will see in your favourite Las Vegas casino. The rules are straightforward and the minimum and maximum amount for both inside and outside bets are the same as European roulette.
The payouts are the same as European roulette but the odds are different: 2.6% for any number, 5.3% for a two-number combination, 7.9% for a three-number combination, 10.5% for a four-number combination, 13.2% for a five-number combination, 15.8% for a six-number combination, 31.6% for both column and dozen bets, 47.4% for Even/Odd, Red/Black, or Low/High.
When all is said and done, you do not want to get involved with untrustworthy names. That is why we included Las Vegas USA; the casino has attained an admirable reputation and they have been around for more than one and a half decades. Their reputation can be linked to their provision of quality games that deliver both entertainment and chance, and the 24/7 customer support.
Deposits and withdrawals are processed in a timely fashion, and in diverse ways. Additionally, they accept players from all over the United States and welcome them with fantastic promotions.
Presently, Bovada.lv is one of the most reputable gambling websites accessible in the United States. Since its establishment, the website has been on top of its game with fast payouts, reliable customer support, advanced security technology, and numerous games. They offer services ranging from poker and casino games to sports betting and horse race betting.
While they are not the only site with multiple gambling services, Bovada.lv seems to do it better than others. They have hundreds of thousands of customers who relish their state-of-the-art online gaming interface and generous promotional bonuses.
Just like Las Vegas USA, Bovada.lv features two variations of roulette: American Roulette and European Roulette. When you go down to the Live Dealer tab, you will also find a Live Roulette game, which has features of the American Roulette. For the sake of players unfamiliar with the Live Roulette, we will be looking at the game with in-depth details. The initial two, however, are the same standard variants found in every land-based and online casinos.
The American game is the most popular roulette variant available at Bovada.lv. Unlike other casinos, this game has a “double-up” feature which is used to double your wager—probably when you are on a winning streak. Apart from that, it is exactly the standard American Roulette.
– As usual, the game has numbers 0, 00, and then 1 to 36. 0 and 00 are colored green while others are colored either black or red.
– Pertaining to chips, there are five options: $1, $5, $25, $100, or $500.
– The maximum wager is $1,000 on the table.
– Inside Bets have a maximum wager of $500 while Outside Bets also have a maximum wager of $500.
– There are five buttons in the game. You can make use Clear when you want to remove a wager you have placed. As usual, Spin can be used to get the ball in motion. Like the names imply, Rebet is used to place the same wager as the former round while you can use Undo to undo the latest action. X2 is the double-up feature mentioned above, which is used to double your wager.
– The payouts of betting Red, Black, Odd, Even, 1 to 18, or 19 to 36 are 1:1. By betting 1 to 12, 13 to 24, or 25 to 36, you have the odds of 2:1. While betting any one number has odds of 35:1, two-number, three-number, four-number and six-number combinations pay 17:1, 11:1, 8:1, and 5:1 respectively. The combination of the numbers 0, 1, 2, and 3 has odds of 8:1.
The European Roulette game at Bovada.lv is the standard European Roulette found in your favourite land-based casinos. Except for the usual difference of single-zero instead of both single- and double-zero, this variant has the same rules as the American roulette. Interestingly, the payouts are the same as well as the buttons, maximum wagers, and chips options.
There are also two Live Roulette games at Bovada.lv: American and European, with the added value of a real-life dealer that can be seen via high-definition video streaming. The rules are basic but there are a few changes as to the buttons and payouts.
– The European Roulette has three table limit ranges: $1 to $300, $5 to $1,500, and $10 to $3,000. This is the same table limit ranges for the American Roulette.
– The European Live Roulette game has the payouts and odds of the European Roulette. The case is identical with the American Live Roulette.
– The American option has a distinct bet type called Top Line, in which you bet on the numbers 00, 0, 1, 2, and 3. The payout is 6:1 and the odds are 13.16%.
If you search online, you will notice most customers (both within and outside the US) are satisfied with the website because of their fast payouts, proprietary games (slots, table games, and video poker games), and the fact that Bovada.lv was involved with the well-known Bodog brand until December 2011. The website uses 128-bit SSL encryption for security and has a customer support service available 24/7 via email, live chat, and phone.
However, there is one concern about this casino as reported on AskGamblers. The website seems to have no legal framework backing its operations. In other words, Bovada.lv has been operating for months without a genuine license issued by a regulated body. Even though Bovada.lv is still very reliable and has never been reported, this is quite detrimental to the casino’s image.
Other Notes: Bovada accepts players in the United States, except those situated in Nevada, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York.
You know they say all that glitters is not gold. Well, Cherry Gold Casino glitters and it is gold. Cherry Gold Casino is licensed in a small Dutch Caribbean island called Curacao, by state body Curacao eGaming. And the website has proven it values players’ protection more than anything else. Since it was launched in 2004, this online casino has been known to offer several casino games powered by high-quality software. The user interface is quite straightforward and requires no prior knowledge to relish your favourite casino games.
Just like Las Vegas USA and Bovada.lv, Cherry Gold Casino has both American and European Roulette games. In addition, the website offers French Roulette and Multiplayer Roulette. While all these variants have their pros and cons, we will discuss the French and Multiplayer roulette games for this piece.
The website also has a Live Roulette game, which is basically the same as Bovada.lv’s Live Roulette game probably because they are powered by the same version of the RealTime Gaming software.
Unlike Bovada.lv’s Live Roulette game, the table limit ranges are $1 to $100, $5 to $500, and $5 to $1,000. But as stated earlier, they use the same version of the same software and offer an identical gameplay. The interface is graced with a shoutbox where you, the dealer, and other players can chat and your respective actions are shown. The design is very simple and somehow old-fashioned – but since it perfectly gets the job done, who really cares?
The French Roulette game at Cherry Gold Casino is a classic game developed by RealTime Gaming and it is being used by many online casinos. The game’s table layout is in not in French language so you can still enjoy this game. Thanks to its simple design, the graphics are impeccable and details are well displayed. This way, the game provides an interface close to the Monte Carlo ambience.
– Like European Roulette, there are 37 numbers: 0 and 1 to 36.
– The payouts are 35:1 for any one number (straight up bets); 17:1 for two-number combinations (split bets); 11:1 for three-number combinations (street bets); 8:1 for four-number combinations (corner bets); 5:1 for six-number combinations (line bets); 2:1 for column bets and dozen bets (first column, second column, third column, 1 to 12, 13 to 24, and 25 to 36); and 1:1 for 1 to 18, 19 to 36, Manque/Passe bets, and Black/Red bets.
– The bet limits are $0.25 to $10 for straight up bets, $0.25 to $20 for split bets, $0.25 to $30 for street bets, $0.25 to $40 for corner bets, $0.25 to $60 for line bets, $1 to $200 for column and dozen bets, and $1 to $1,000 for all other bets.
– One difference between the European and French Roulette games is the latter’s exclusive La Partage rule. This rule makes French roulette a little more generous than European roulette because you only lose half of your wager if the result of a round is 0 considering you made an outside bet.
– There are special bet types, called Neighbour and Call bets, in addition to the usual Outside and Inside bets. To trigger this special betting option, there is a button at the bottom left corner of the game called Neighbor & Call Bets. These bets include Finales a Cheval, Voisins Du Zero, Finales en Plein, Tiers Du Cylindre, and Orphelins.
– As usual, you can Spin, Undo, and Clear. Also, you can use the Autoplay feature—just like the one in online slots—to place your bet for a predefined number of times.
– One of my favourite features of this French roulette game is the Favourites feature, which allows you to save a number of bets. You simply have to make your bet pattern and click on the Favourites button to save it. When you need the pattern, you can access it by clicking on the button. And in this version of the game, you can save up to eight patterns.
– Lastly, this game has a Settings menu, which you can use to set everything to your taste. You can change the dynamics of the game as well as its view.
Cherry Gold Casino’s Multiplayer Roulette game is also provided by RealTime Gaming. The game is the anterior French Roulette game with an additional feature that gives you a chance to communicate with other players at the table. Thanks to this feature, the game is even more realistic and you will soon forget you have been standing in front of a screen the whole time. The table tends to be more fun as you can challenge other players or just copy their strategies. If you prefer to savor the socialization of other players, this is the best real money roulette game for you.
Apart from this, French Roulette and Multiplayer Roulette are the same—the payouts, odds, bet limits, buttons, betting options, etc. In fact, the design, graphics, and gameplay of Multiplayer Roulette are just as impressive as that of French Roulette. Lastly, the game has an RTP (return to player) of 88.61%.
Throughout the years, Cherry Gold Casino has maintained its name as one of the best online casinos. Its reputation is linked to its fairness, security technologies, always-changing promotional bonuses, and 24/7 customer support centre. There are several games at your disposal and all are developed by RealTime Gaming, which means the table games, slots, specialty games, and video poker games are both entertaining and secure on your desktop, mobile, and tablet devices.
The casino also has the instant play and download options—whichever is best for you, you decide. Pertaining to payments, there is a handful of methods (plus Bitcoin) to deposit and withdraw, which are processed between one and five days.
As online casinos become more sophisticated, they offer several roulette games like land-based casinos and gambling houses. The major difference is the inclusiveness of as many variants as possible in online casinos; land-based casinos, on the other hand, tend to offer roulette games according to their region.
To reiterate, the majority of French casinos offer French roulette while American casinos offer the American counterpart. In contrast, most online casinos—regardless of where they were issued a licence—offer many variants, which typically include:
– European Roulette
– French Roulette
– American Roulette
– Mini Roulette
– Multiplayer Roulette
– Live Dealer Roulette (or Live Roulette)
– Double-Ball Roulette
– Multi-Ball Roulette
– Double-Wheel Roulette
– Multi-Wheel Roulette
– Double Action Roulette
– Premiere Roulette Diamond Edition
– Immersive Roulette
While the issue of which is the best variant is quite debatable, this piece will mostly reference European Roulette, French Roulette, American Roulette, and Live Dealer Roulette. It is a consensus that Single Zero roulette wheels have the best house edges. Roulette is a pseudo-random game so this is mathematically provable as well.
According to the Wizard of Odds, Single Zero wheels have 2.70% house edge while Double Zero wheels have 5.26%. However, French roulette – which features a Single Zero wheel – has a house edge of 1.35%. Still, European Roulette is the most popular variant both online and in land-based facilities—for both low-stakes players and high-rollers.
If a variant is truly exceptional (better house edge, uniquely impressive gameplay, or anything else), the section above titled Best Online Casinos to Play Roulette must have detailed it according to the casinos offering it.
For starters, many confuse offline (or land-based) roulette with live roulette, but these are two different concepts. Basically, land-based roulette—as the name implies—is provided in land-based gambling facilities, while live roulette is a form of online roulette in which the roulette wheel is spun by a real-life dealer situated in a live casino studio and broadcasted to you in high-definition video.
Apparently, live online roulette offers the best of both worlds: you enjoy the ease of wagering anywhere you are and also watching a real dealer spin the wheel. Now, let’s look at what differentiates land-based roulette from its online counterpart.
Online roulette beat offline roulette in this aspect hands down. It is impossible to play offline roulette without spending a dime. By contrast, most online casinos offer a free roulette game so amateurs and those new to online roulette can practice before playing real money roulette.
The table limit encompasses the minimum and maximum wagers a player can make. For offline roulette, the table limit in an American casino usually falls between $5.00 and $25.00 for minimum and $1,000.00 and $10,000.00 for maximum.
In contrary, online casinos offer table limits that can be anything. Some websites allow wagers of as low as 1 cent ($0.01), and the widespread maximum table limit is $1,000. But for live dealer roulette, the minimum table limit is usually $10, to say the least, because live casino studios charge casinos a huge amount of money to supply the live feed. Yet, regardless if you play software roulette or live roulette, you can play longer and enjoy lower variance when compared to offline roulette.
There is nowhere in the physical world where you will find an offline roulette connected to a jackpot system. This is not the case with online roulette as many online casinos have mirrored what Playtech did with its pioneering Progressive Baccarat. Similarly, there are roulette games online in which players stand a chance of winning massive jackpot prizes, and the prizes increase as players wager across the world.
A prime example is Playtech’s Age of the Gods Live Roulette, which features the four-tier roulette progressive jackpot. (A bet365 player won £45,000 when it was launched in 2017.) Interestingly, most (if not all) of the roulette games with jackpot are powered by Playtech.
This is very objective as players have varying preferences. Offline roulette is perfect for the high rollers who relish the physical roulette wheel with other players breathing along with them – and even low stakes players who just prefer to sit at the table and enjoy the thrilling atmosphere offline roulette has to offer. Extras like cigarettes/cigars and beverages make offline roulette reasonable.
On the other hand, some of us prefer wagering on the go regardless of the gambling climate. But in general, offline roulette creates a gambling climate that online roulette cannot.
This is an easy win for online roulette. Regardless of which game the debate is on, online versions provide players with greater convenience. Whether you are indoor or outdoor, you can always enjoy your favourite roulette variant as long as you have access to the Internet. Online roulette also displays the wagering options right on the screen so placing a wager is as easy as possible.
Online roulette also makes it easy to jump from one table to another, which is just impossible when playing in a land-based facility. In Double-Ball Roulette, Multi-Ball Roulette, Double-Wheel Roulette, Multi-Wheel Roulette, and similar variants, you relish a distinct feature: flexibility.
Double-Ball and Multi-Ball Roulette have the dealer spin more than one ball at a time while Double-Wheel and Multi-Wheel Roulette offer at least two wheels concurrently. There are even more creative variants online; an example is Spingo by Microgaming, which combines roulette with bingo.
In offline roulette, casinos have limited tables, space for table games, and seats per table. Therefore, you might find it frustrating to enter a casino only to wait for hours before being able to experience the thrill. What’s more, some roulette variants are nonexistent in certain areas. Do not expect to play French roulette in Las Vegas!
In online roulette, games are always available for you to play 24/7. Online casinos often offer at least three variants, so you can wake up 1 in the morning and still enjoy the roulette game you love so much.
With respect to the difference between offline roulette and live roulette, you should first decide whether you want a dealer or not. At times, dealers tend to be unprofessional and work according to tips.
Sometimes they make mistakes which software are more likely to never make. As a dealer’s work can turn tedious, he or she may miscalculate your earnings or delay your payouts. Even though this is not common in reputable land-based casinos, online casinos employ automated software; so, your win or loss reflects on your balance instantly.
Some players still prefer the dealer treat—but for those who enjoy a no-dealer zone, online roulette (excluding Live Dealer Roulette) is a goldmine.
The only form of promotion land-based casinos offer is the loyalty program, which varies from one operator to another. Online casinos, on the other hand, offer much more promotions.
First, every online casino has at least one deposit bonus which you can use to increase your chances. While the system is simple (deposit an eligible amount and receive a predefined percentage), we recommend you read the terms and conditions of any bonus before activating it.
On the downside, online roulette games generally have higher rollover requirements than most other casino games (especially slots), but they are still one of the games through which you can clear a bonus with ease.
Another point to note is that roulette (offline and online) have some of the highest house edges in the casino world. This means you will need to wager more than you would with say slots or blackjack. To counteract this, online casinos set up smaller wagering or rollover bonus requirements for roulette, especially live dealer roulette, when compared to other games. Hence, you will spend much less time playing roulette than you would when playing baccarat or blackjack in clearing bonus terms and conditions.
For example, many online casinos set up bonuses that depend on which game you play. Games with low house edges (blackjack as a prime example) may have 50x bonus wagering requirement, which means you have to roll over the bonus amount 50 times. On the other hand, roulette—because of its high house edge—may have a bonus wagering requirement of 10x, so you only need to wager 10 times the bonus amount.
Alternatively, some casinos use contribution percent. This simply means what a game contributes is different from what anyone contributes. For instance, a casino could have a wagering requirement of 50x on their 100% deposit bonus.. With that, slots may contribute 100% (so $100 counts when you wager $100), roulette 20% (so $20 counts when you wager $100), and blackjack 2% (so $2 counts when you wager $100). Hence, it would take you less time to meet the requirement while playing roulette than blackjack.
Also, offline roulette rewards you with comps in form of hotel accommodations, dining, shopping, or any other non-cash reward—mostly discounts and special offers. With online roulette, you are up for comps that are paid in cash based on the amount wagered, not the amount won or lost.
As a win for offline roulette, most land-based casinos comp players fairly generously for playing roulette because the game helps the casino win a significant amount of money due to the high house edge.
When you play roulette offline, you are dealing with a croupier who will always determine the pace of the game and even how you interact with the game. He or she will spin the wheel, collect the wagers, and call the wagering to stop.
But in online roulette, you are the master of the game. You determine how fast you want your game to be. This is because some prefer fast wagering while some pay attention to every detail before wagering. In the end, online roulette delivers better gameplay than offline roulette.